Microsoft KB Archive/931209
Article ID: 931209
Article Last Modified on 3/17/2007
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
When you visit and then leave a Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 FTP site, the exit message is truncated to only 1,017 characters. However, you expect the whole exit message to appear when you leave the FTP site.
This behavior occurs because of a limitation in the length of the FTP site exit message in IIS 7.0. In IIS 7.0, the exit message is limited to 1,024 characters.
To work around this behavior, limit the FTP site exit message to 1,017 characters.
Although the exit message may contain 1,024 characters, the 1,024 characters include the "221" FTP status code, a space character, and the line feed and carriage return escape characters. Therefore, only 1,017 characters are available for the actual exit message text.
This behavior is by design.
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Configure an FTP site in IIS 7.0.
- Click Start, type iis manager in the Start Search box, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
- Expand the computer name, expand FTP Sites, right-click the FTP site, and then click Properties.
- Click the Messages tab, paste a message that has more than 1,017 characters in the Exit box, and then click OK
- On a remote computer, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type ftp, and then press ENTER.
- Type open
ServerName, and then press ENTER.
ServerName with the host name or IP address of the FTP server.
- If you are prompted for a user name, type the user name, and then press ENTER. Then, type the password, and then press ENTER.
- Type bye, and then press ENTER.
Notice that the exit message only contains 1,017 characters.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb KB931209