Microsoft KB Archive/931130
Article ID: 931130
Article Last Modified on 1/26/2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, when used with:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you use an FTP client to download a large file from an FTP server, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The Application Layer Gateway service is running on the FTP server.
- The Routing and Remote Access service is running on the FTP server.
This problem occurs because the Routing and Remote Access service and the Application Layer Gateway service use the Lpnat.sys driver to create a time-out value that is 60 seconds for TCP port mappings. However, the original time-out value for TCP port mappings is 24 hours.
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods.
Stop the Application Layer Gateway service if you do not have to use the service.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
Change a registry value to affect the behavior of Application Layer Gateway service on the FTP Server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
- In the results pane, double-click PreferExternalManifest.
- In the Value data box, type Disable, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
After you change the registry value, the Application Layer Gateway service does not make port mappings for the FTP Server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB931130