Microsoft KB Archive/931033
Article ID: 931033
Article Last Modified on 1/30/2007
- PolicyMaker Standard Edition 2.0
- PolicyMaker Standard Edition 1.0
- Profile Maker Professional 9.0
- Profile Maker Professional 8.0
You may experience the following problem on a computer that is running Desktop Standard PolicyMaker Standard Edition or Profile Maker Professional. When the target path of a shortcut has long folder names or a long file name, the folder names and the file name may be truncated to eight characters. For example, consider the following path:
When this problem occurs, the path of the shortcut is truncated as follows:
This problem occurs because the API that is called to create the shortcut must be able to connect to the target of the shortcut to correctly create the shortcut. If the API cannot connect to the target, the API creates a shortcut in which the folder names and the file name in the path are each truncated to a length of eight characters.
To resolve this problem, create a shortcut to a mapped drive. To do this, follow these steps:
- Use the Drive Maps extension to create a mapped drive policy item.
- Create a shortcut policy item under User Configuration.
- Right-click the shortcut policy item, and then click Properties.
- On the Common tab, click to select the Run in logged-on user’s security context check box, and then click OK.
Shortcuts to the local drives can be run in the operating system or in the context of the user who is logged on because the local system account and the user account can connect to the drives.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB931033