Microsoft KB Archive/931026
Article ID: 931026
Article Last Modified on 1/30/2007
- PolicyMaker Standard Edition 2.0
- PolicyMaker Standard Edition 1.0
When you try to apply a computers policy or a users policy on a computer that has Desktop Standard PolicyMaker Standard Edition installed, the following error message is logged in the application event log:
This issue occurs because one of the following conditions is true:
- Special characters appear in the name of one of the following objects:
- Organizational unit (OU)
- Container of the user
- Container of the computer
- The Authenticated Users group does not have Read permission for the Group Policy object (GPO).
This issue occurs if the computers or users policy item is located under User Configuration instead of under Computer Configuration. Additionally, the following versions of PolicyMaker Standard Edition products are used:
- PolicyMaker Standard Edition 2.5.0
- PolicyMaker Software Update 1.3.0
- PolicyMaker Application Security 1.1.0
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:
- If this issue occurs because special characters appear in the name of an OU, delete the special characters from the name of the OU.
Note We recommend that you do not use special characters in the name of an OU.
- If this issue occurs because the Authenticated User group does not have Read permission for the GPO, grant the Authenticated User group Read permission to the GPO. Alternatively, grant Read permission to a group that contains the relevant computer accounts. The relevant computer accounts are for those users who want to log on to the GPO.
Note This issue will be resolved in the next release of the specific versions of PolicyMaker products that are mentioned in the "Cause" section.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB931026