Microsoft KB Archive/93088
Article ID: 93088
Article Last Modified on 10/30/1999
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
This article was previously published under Q93088
The NCR Wavelan card is a wireless Ethernet card that operates on radio waves. To function correctly with Novell NetWare, it requires the following entry in the [MS$IPX] section of the PROTOCOL.INI file:
If the Novell/Ethernet Media Type is incorrectly specified for the NCR Wavelan card and MSIPX.SYS, MSIPX.COM, and NETX.COM are loading, the system may hang when NETX loads, or you may receive a file server error message.
You can set the MediaType in the Networks dialog box of Control Panel.
The Ethernet_II entry sets up the media access control (MAC) driver to receive DIX Ethernet frame types, rather than 802.3 (Novell/Ethernet). Many of the Novell file servers with these cards are using 802.3. The server must also be modified to support the Ethernet_II frame type by adding the line "ethernetii" to the NET.CFG file.
To change the setting through Control Panel:
- In the Control Panel window, choose the Network icon.
- Choose the Adapters button.
- Choose the Setup button and select Protocols.
- Select Novell IPX and choose the Settings button.
- Change the value of Media Type to Ethernet_II, then choose the OK button.
Additional query words: 3.10 file wave lan two ii