Microsoft KB Archive/93043
Microsoft Knowledge Base
Fast Save Option Not Available
Last reviewed: July 30, 1997
Article ID: Q93043
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh, versions 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0
Sometimes the Fast Save option is not available in Word for the Macintosh, even if you select the Allow Fast Saves option. Usually, after you save a document the first time, Word allows a fast save to occur.
The following are some reasons the Fast Save option may be unavailable in the Save dialog box:
- Before you save a document for the first time, the Fast Save option is unavailable because Word performs a full (normal) save the first time you save your document.
- If the document is located on a network server or remote volume, the Fast Save option is unavailable because Word only allows you to perform a fast save to a local volume such as your local hard disk or a floppy disk. You cannot perform a fast save to a network or server volume because Word does not create a temporary file during a fast save operation. Fast Save modifies the actual file and does not use a temporary file to store a copy of the file while it creates a new copy. Because a normal save uses a temporary file, it reduces the risk of losing data and, therefore, is safer for use over a network.
- You are saving the document under a new name or in a different file format.
- Sometimes Word reaches the limit of how much information it can save using the Fast Save option. In this case, Word performs a full (normal) save and the Fast Save option is unavailable. This option is again available next time you save the document.
- If you select the Make Backup option in the Save As dialog box, Word must do a full (normal) save, so the Fast Save option is unavailable.
- The default font, defined in the Normal style, is not available on the system. In this case, the Normal style description contains "Font: " but no font name. If this happens, select a default font for the Normal style.
- The Fast Save option, located in the Preferences dialog box under the Save category, is disabled.
Setting the Fast Save Option
Word for the Macintosh, version 6.0
From the Tools menu, choose Options. Select the Save tab. Select the Allow Fast Saves check box.
Word for the Macintosh, versions 5.0 and 5.1
From the Tools menu, choose Preferences. Select the Open And Save category. Select the Allow Fast Saves option and close the dialog box.
Word for the Macintosh, versions 3.x and 4.0
The Fast Save Enabled option is available through the Commands command. The easiest way to know if Fast Save is on or off is to add the Fast Save Enabled command to a menu. The Fast Save command is enabled when a check mark appears beside it on the menu.
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 6.0, pages 484-85
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 5.0, pages 71-72, 707
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 4.0, page 312
"Microsoft Word User's Guide," version 3.0, page 314
KBCategory: kbusage kbusage
Last reviewed: July 30, 1997