Microsoft KB Archive/930381
Article ID: 930381
Article Last Modified on 8/9/2007
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
This step-by-step article describes how to create and use a password reset disk in Windows Vista.
If you forget your user account password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new password. Create a password reset disk so that you are prepared if you forget your password. By using a password reset disk, you can avoid losing access to the files and to the information on your computer.
Note You cannot use a password reset disk to reset the password for another computer.
Warning A third-party can access your computer by using a password reset disk. Therefore, it is important to store the disk in a safe location.
To create a password reset disk, you must have writable removable media, such as a floppy disk or a USB flash drive.
To create a password reset disk, follow these steps:
- Click Start , type Control Userpasswords in the Start Search box, and then click Control Userpasswords in the Programs list.
- In the Tasks list, click Create a Password Reset Disk.
- Put the writable removable media in the applicable media drive, and then click Next on the Forgotten Password Wizard page.
- On the Create a Password Reset Disk page, specify the drive in which to create the password reset disk, and then click Next.
- In the Current user account password box, type the password for the user account, and then click Next. If the user account does not have a password, leave the Current user account password box blank.
- When progress reaches 100 percent on the Creating Password Reset Disk page, click Next, and then click Finish.
- Remove the password reset disk from the media drive, label the media "Password Reset," and then store the media in a safe location.
To use the password reset disk and the Password Reset Wizard to log on to the computer, follow these steps:
- In the Windows Vista logon window, click Reset Password.
- Put the Password Reset media in the applicable media drive, and then click Next in the Reset Password Wizard.
- In the The password key disk is in the following drive list, click the drive in which the password reset disk is located, and then click Next.
- In the Type a new password box, type the new password that you want to use for the user account.
- In the Type the password again to confirm box, type the password again.
- In the Type a new password hint box, type a hint that will remind you of the password if you forget it.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
- Use the new password to log on to Windows Vista.
Additional query words: winvista login credentials
Keywords: kbhowto kbenv kbrepair kbexpertiseinter kbexpertisebeginner KB930381