Microsoft KB Archive/930098
Article ID: 930098
Article Last Modified on 3/15/2007
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you view a slide show in Windows Photo Gallery by using the Pan and Zoom theme, you may experience poor playback quality. Some of the symptoms may include playback that is irregular or that contains glitches.
Note This problem only occurs for high-end video cards.
For video cards that have a Windows Experience Index Graphics and Gaming score of 5.0 or more, playback occurs at 60 frames per second. For all other video cards, playback occurs at 30 frames per second. The increase in the playback rate for high-end cards can potentially be too resource-intensive. This intensive use of resources causes the symptoms that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To resolve this problem, decrease the frames per second rate for Windows Photo Gallery to 30 frames per second. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\SlideShow
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- In the New Value #1 box, type PlaybackFramesPerSecond, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click PlaybackFramesPerSecond, and then click Modify.
- Under Base, click Decimal.
- In the Value data box, type 30, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
For more information about the Windows Experience Index, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Keywords: kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot kbprb KB930098