Microsoft KB Archive/929911
Article ID: 929911
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Zune software
When you try to install the Zune software, you cannot complete the installation and you receive the following error message:
This problem occurs if one or more of the following conditions are true:
- The Users group has been renamed.
- Drive C was formatted by using the NTFS file system, and you have incorrect user rights set on the drive.
- The Zune installation file cannot be read during the setup process.
- A required component of the Zune software installation is not installed correctly.
To determine the specific cause of the problem, you can use Event Viewer to view the log file.
THINGS TO TRY
- View the event log details. For more information about how to view event logs in Event Viewer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308427 How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
To open Event Viewer and examine the details of the error message, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr, and then click OK.
- In the Navigation Pane, click Application.
- Click View, and then click Filter.
- In the Event Source list, click MsiInstaller, and then click OK.
- Use the information in the Date and Time columns to locate the events that were logged for MsiInstaller during the time that you could not complete the Zune software installation.
- Double-click the event that you want to view. In the Event Properties dialog box, information about the event and a description of the event appear.
For more information about errors that you may receive when you try to install the Zune software, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
934629 Error message in the Event Viewer after the Zune software installation fails: "Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\ZuneSyncPlaylists"
929947 Error message in Event Viewer after the Zune software installation fails: "Error 1316 A Network Error Occurred"
929946 Error message in Event Viewer after the Zune software installation fails: "Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music"
933188 Error when you try to install the Zune software on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Error 1321. Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flasutil9b.exe"
929701 Error message in Event Viewer after the Zune software installation fails: "Error 1402. Could not open key"
929910 Error message in Event Viewer after the Zune software installation fails: "Error 1609. Users is not a valid group. Could not apply security settings"
Keywords: kbtshoot kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbexpertisebeginner KB929911