Microsoft KB Archive/929701
Article ID: 929701
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Zune software
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you install the Zune software, you experience the following symptoms:
- The installation program stops at 95%, the installation program closes, and then you receive the following error message:
- After you restart the computer and then start to install the Zune software again, you receive the same error message.
- You receive the following error message in Event Viewer:
You experience this behavior if the permissions for the following Microsoft Windows XP registry key or for any one of the subkeys for this registry key are set so that Windows Installer cannot update the following key:
THINGS TO TRY
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
- Exit all programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then click OK.
- Expand the following registry key:
- Locate and then click the following key:
- On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
- In the Group or user names list, click the user who is currently signed in to the computer, and then make sure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow. If the Group or user names list is empty, see "What to do if the Group or user names list is empty," later in this article.
- Click the Advanced button.
- On the Permissions tab in the Advanced Security Settings for WMPTheme.WMPSkinMngr dialog box, for the user who is currently signed in to the computer, make sure that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column. Additionally, make sure that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
- Select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Clear the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here check box.
- Click Apply.
- When you are prompted to continue, click Yes.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- Click File, and then click Exit.
- Install the Zune Software.
What to do if the Group or user names list is empty
If the Group or user names list is empty, you can work around the problem by renaming the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\WMPTheme.WMPSkinMngr.backup\. After you rename the key, rerun the Zune Software installation.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbexpertisebeginner KB929701