Microsoft KB Archive/929392
Article ID: 929392
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2007
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
When you try to use the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate mailboxes from a Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server organization to a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 organization, you receive the following error message:
Additionally, the following event is logged in the Application log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeMig
Event ID: 7048
Description: Could not log onto the Message Store for Account 'Microsoft System Attendant' on Server '
This problem may occur if the NetBIOS name of the Exchange 2000 server cannot be resolved by the Exchange 2003 server.
To resolve this problem, add the DNS suffix of the Exchange 2000 server to the DNS suffix search order on the Exchange 2003 server. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Exchange 2003 server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Control Panel, point to Network Connections, right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. Typically, this connection is the Local Area Connection.
- On the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Advanced.
- On the DNS tab, click Append these DNS Suffixes.
- Click Add, type the DNS suffix of the Exchange 2000 server, and then click Add.
- Click OK, two times, and then click Close.
- Use the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate the mailboxes from the Exchange 2000 organization to a Exchange 2003 organization.
Note Use the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the Exchange 2000 server in Exchange Migration Wizard.
For more information about the Exchange Migration Wizard, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
328871 How to use the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate mailboxes from an Exchange organization
Additional query words: Ex2003
Keywords: kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbprb KB929392