Microsoft KB Archive/929355
Article ID: 929355
Article Last Modified on 10/15/2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
This article describes how to disable the Compatibility Checker when you deploy Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 for many users.
By default, PowerPoint 2007 uses the Compatibility Checker to examine presentations that were saved in the PowerPoint 97-2003 file format. The Compatibility Checker finds potential compatibility issues between PowerPoint 2007 file formats and file formats from earlier versions of PowerPoint. It also creates a report to help you resolve any issues.
To disable the Compatibility Checker, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Disable the "Check compatibility when saving in PowerPoint 98-2003 formats" command
To disable the Compatibility Checker feature for a single client computer, follow these steps:
- Create a presentation that uses WordArt Styles for some of the text.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Save As.
- Save the file in the PowerPoint 97-2003 file format.
- In the Compatibility Checker, click to clear the Check compatibility when saving in PowerPoint 98-2003 formats check box, and then click Continue.
Method 2: Create the ShowCompatDialog registry DWORD value
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To create the ShowCompatDialog registry DWORD value, follow these steps:
- Exit PowerPoint 2007.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ShowCompatDialog, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click AutoArrangeViews, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Method 3: Use the Office Customization Tool (OCT)
As an administrator, you can use the Office Customization Tool (OCT) to create a Setup customization file (.msp). This Setup customization file modifies the Microsoft Office installation when you deploy PowerPoint 2007.
To disable the Compatibility Checker when you deploy PowerPoint 2007 for many users, use the OTC to add the following DWORD registry entry that has a value of 0:
Additional query words: PPT2007 PowerPoint2007
Keywords: kbhowto kbinfo kbsetup kbdeployment kbexpertisebeginner KB929355