Microsoft KB Archive/92892
Article ID: 92892
Article Last Modified on 1/18/2007
- Microsoft Access 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 1.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q92892
Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
When you use a make-table query to concatenate two Memo fields, the query concatenates the Memo fields into a Text field in the resulting table. If you have more than 255 characters combined in the two Memo fields, the data is truncated in the new Text field.
Text fields have a limit of 255 characters; Memo fields can contain up to 32,000 characters in Microsoft Access 1.x, and up to 64,000 characters in Microsoft Access 2.0 or later.
To work around this behavior, use an append query on an existing table with a Memo field and concatenate the two Memo fields into the existing Memo field. For example:
Create a table with two Memo fields:
Table: OldTable ------------------ Field Name: Memo1 Data Type: Memo Field Name: Memo2 Data Type: Memo
Create a table with one Memo field:
Table: ExistingTable ------------------------- Field Name: ExistingField Data Type: Memo
Create the following new query based on the OldTable table:
Query: TestMemo ------------------------------ Type: Select Query Field: Concat: [Memo1]&[Memo2] Table: OldTable
- On the Query menu, click Append Query (or Append in Microsoft Access 7.0 or earlier). Type ExistingTable in the Table Name box.
- In the Append To row of the QBE grid, select ExistingField.
- Run the query.
Steps To Reproduce Behavior
- Perform steps 1 and 3 in the Resolution section of this article.
- Open the TestMemo query in Design view.
- On the query menu, click Make Table Query (or Make Table in Microsoft Access 7.0 or earlier). Type NewTable in the Table Name box.
- Run the query and note that the NewTable table contains a Text field called Concat with a field size of 255 characters.
Keywords: kbprb kbusage KB92892