Microsoft KB Archive/92870
Article ID: 92870
Article Last Modified on 11/4/1999
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
This article was previously published under Q92870
After you install Microsoft Windows for Workgroups with Novell NetWare support on an Ethernet II cabling system, you may be unable to see any NetWare file servers. Also, you may receive the following error messages when NETX.COM starts:
This error may be caused by a conflict in data frame formats. An Ethernet II system uses its own frame format, while the default frame format for Novell support follows the IEEE 802.3 standard.
To enable your Windows for Workgroups workstation to communicate correctly on an Ethernet II system with Novell NetWare support, you must change the frame format used by the IPX protocol to Ethernet II. To do this, use the following steps:
- In the Control Panel window, choose the Network icon.
- Choose the Adapters button.
- Select the adapter that is configured for NetWare.
- Choose the Setup button, then choose the Protocols button.
- From the Protocols In Use list, select Novell IPX.
- Choose the Settings button.
- Select Ethernet II (DIX) instead of the default Novell/Ethernet setting, then choose the OK button.
After you accept the changes and reboot your machine, you should be able to see NetWare servers on the Ethernet II system.
Additional query words: 3.10 wfwfest econfig