Microsoft KB Archive/928650
Article ID: 928650
Article Last Modified on 12/18/2007
- Zune Digital Media Player
- Zune 4GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 8GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 30GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 80GB Digital Media Player
- Zune software
When you play a file on your Zune device, you receive the following error message:
This issue can occur if the following conditions are true:
- The file transfer was interrupted, and the file was not transferred successfully.
- The file is larger than 4 gigabytes (GB).
- The device software is not operating correctly.
THINGS TO TRY
To resolve this issue, try one or more of the following methods.
Method 1: If the file was sent to you from another Zune device
- Select the file in the Inbox, and then select Remove from Inbox.
- Have the person who sent you the file resend the file.
Method 2: Verify the size of the file that you are syncing to the device
- Open the Zune software, and then locate the file in Collection.
- Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
- Make sure that the file size is equal to or less than 4.0 GB.
Method 3: Sync the file again
- Open the Zune software, and then click Device.
- Locate and right-click the file, and then select Delete from device.
- Click Collection, and then locate the file.
- Right-click the file, and then select Sync with device.
Method 4: Restart the device
To restart the device, set the Hold switch to the unlocked position, and then press and hold the Back button as you press on the top of the Zune pad. When the Zune device begins to restart, you can release the buttons.
Method 5: Update the device
Connect the Zune device to a computer that has the current Zune software installed, and then update the device to the current device software. For more information about how to update the software on a Zune device, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
926770 How to update your Zune device
Method 6: Erase the device and sync your content again
- Start the Zune software on the computer.
- Connect your Zune device by using the Zune Sync Cable.
- Click Settings, and then click device.
- Click SYNC OPTIONS, and then click ERASE ALL CONTENT.
- When you receive the following message, click YES:
- After the device has been erased, sync your content back to the device. If you have lots of content to sync, you may want to disconnect the device after several files have been synced to make sure that the files have been transferred successfully.
If you continue to receive the error, try the next method.
Method 7: Restore the device and sync your content again
As a last resort, try restoring the Zune device software. When you restore your Zune device software, all content and the device software are removed. For more information about how to restore the Zune device software, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
927001 How to restore your Zune device software
After you restore the device software, again sync the content.
Keywords: kbzunehardware kbtshoot kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbexpertisebeginner KB928650