Microsoft KB Archive/928584
Article ID: 928584
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Zune Digital Media Player
- Zune software
After you remove the preloaded content that came on your Zune device, you cannot add that content back to the device.
Note Preloaded content is the collection of items that come stored on the Zune device when you purchase a new Zune device. This content includes sample songs, music videos, and music art.
You cannot add preloaded content back to the device after the content has been removed.
For information about how preloaded content can be removed, see the "More Information" section.
THINGS TO TRY
Try one or more of the following steps:
- To save other content to your Zune device, sync the device with the Zune software library on the computer.
- If another person has a copy of the preloaded pictures, that person may be able to transfer these files from their Zune device to your device by using the wireless send feature.
- If another person has a copy of the preloaded music, that person may be able to transfer these files from their Zune device to your device by using the wireless send feature. However, the playback of the file will be limited to three (3) times in three (3) days. It may also be possible to retrieve the files by using the Zune Marketplace. However, you will have to have a Marketplace subscription or Zune points to do this. To retrieve files from the Zune Marketplace, follow these steps:
- Open the Zune software.
- In the Navigation Pane, expand Marketplace, and then click playlists.
- In the Search box, type zune pre-load.
- Double-click the playlist that is found.
- In the Action column, click to download or to buy the song that you are interested in.
If you want to remove the preloaded content from a Zune device, use one of the following methods:
- Connect the Zune device to more than one computer. After you connect the device to the second computer, select Sync with your library on this PC. Remove all the content on your Zune and replace it with the content in this library instead when you see the "Relocating" screen. Do not select Connect this Zune as a guest.
- Sync the Zune device with the Zune software, and then manually remove the preloaded content.
- Erase all the content from the Zune device. For more information about how to erase content from a Zune device, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
926917 How to erase all content from your Zune device
- Restore the Zune device.
Note When you restore your Zune device, the startup partition and the data partition are removed and rebuilt. This process removes all content from the device. For more information about how to restore your Zune device, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
927001 How to restore your Zune device
For more information about preloaded content, visit the following Zune Web site:
Keywords: kbzunesoftware kbzunehardware kbtshoot kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbexpertisebeginner KB928584