Microsoft KB Archive/928384
Article ID: 928384
Article Last Modified on 10/11/2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-Based Systems
You find several event ID: 2003 warning messages that are logged in the Application log on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer. These messages are related to performance counters. Additionally, these messages resemble the following message:
The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINNT\system32\w3ctrs.dll" for the "W3SVC" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.
Note Typically, the warning messages are related to the W3svc driver service or to the Active Server Pages (ASP) service.
In this scenario, the event is generated for information purposes. Therefore, you can safely ignore the warning messages. Additionally, you can prevent these warning messages in certain scenarios by reregistering the service to update the validation code in the registry.
To reregister the performance counter libraries of the affected service, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type unlodctr
ServiceName, and then press ENTER.
Servicename represents the name of the affected service.
- Type lodctr
IniFile, and then press ENTER.
Inifile represents the name of the .ini file for the driver that you want to reload. For example, if you want to reload the W3svc driver, you must type w3ctrs.ini.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbbug kbexpertiseadvanced kbexpertiseinter KB928384