Microsoft KB Archive/928148
Article ID: 928148
Article Last Modified on 10/15/2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
Consider the following scenario. You click a hyperlink that opens a 2007 Microsoft Office program file. The file resides on a server that is running Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). In this scenario, you can change the file. However, when you save the file, any changes that you made to the file are not saved to the server.
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- You do not open the file directly from Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. Instead you use a link to the file from another source, such as an e-mail message or a Web page. Alternatively, you open the file from a Web server.
- The file that you open uses one of the Office Open XML Formats. For example, the file is an .xlsm file, an .xlsb file, a .docm file, or a .pptx file.
Note The 2007 Office suites introduce new file formats for Microsoft Office Word 2007, for Microsoft Office Excel 2007, and for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007. These new file formats are called Office Open XML Formats.
- The program that you use to open the Office Open XML Formats file is not a 2007 Office program. Instead, you use an earlier version of the program, such as Microsoft Office Word 2003, together with the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats to open the file.
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
- Click the link to the file. Then, perform one of the following actions:
- If you are prompted to open the file or to save the file, click Save, and then save the file to the computer's hard disk drive.
- If you are not prompted to save the file, right-click the hyperlink, click Save Target As, and then save the file to the computer's hard disk drive.
- Open the file, make the changes that you want, save the file, and then upload it to the server to overwrite the existing file.
Note You must have the appropriate permissions to overwrite a file on the server.
For more information about the Compatibility Pack, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
924074 How to use earlier versions of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to open and save files from 2007 Office programs
919026 Error message when you try to open or to save a 2007 Office document: "Do you want to download a compatibility pack so that you can work with this file"
Additional query words: PPT2007 PowerPoint2007 XL2007 Excel2007 WD2007 Word2007 Office2007 OFF2007 Office 2007 wssv3 wssv2 OFF12
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb kbopenfile kbsavefile kbexpertisebeginner kbfileawareoff2007 KB928148