Microsoft KB Archive/928096
Article ID: 928096
Article Last Modified on 10/11/2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
When 30 to 40 users use roaming profiles to log on to or log off a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based terminal server, the terminal server crashes. Additionally, you may receive the following Stop error message in this situation:
Note This problem occurs if Citrix MetaFrame software is installed on the terminal server.
This problem occurs after you remove the User Profile Hive Cleanup service (UPHClean) from the terminal server. Specifically, a stale registry entry for a version of the UPHClean service that is earlier than version 1.5 is not deleted after you remove the UPHClean service. For more information about the UPHClean service, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Use the Add or Remove Programs feature to remove version 1.5 of the UPHClean service from the terminal server.
- Search for the
Legacy_uphcleanregistry entry in the following registry subkey:
- Back up the
Legacy_uphcleanregistry entry, and then delete this registry entry.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB928096