Microsoft KB Archive/927832
Article ID: 927832
Article Last Modified on 3/15/2007
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you open the Server Properties dialog box on a Windows Vista-based print server through a remote connection, you find that the Add and Remove commands on the Drivers tab are unavailable.
The symptom occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The Windows Vista-based print server is in a workgroup.
- You log on to a client Windows Vista-based computer by using credentials that include administrative rights for the Windows Vista-based print server in the workgroup.
- From the client computer, you remotely connect to the Windows Vista-based print server.
This issue occurs because the administrator credentials that are required to remotely administer the print drivers on the Windows Vista-based print server are removed by the User Account Control (UAC). This is the default security behavior in Windows Vista.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To work around this behavior, you can log on to the print server locally to add or to remove the drivers. Alternatively, you can change the registry on the Windows Vista-based print server so that full credentials are passed between the client computer and the print server. To change the registry, follow these steps:
- Expand the following subkey:
- Click System, right-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
The LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy entry in the registry can have a value of 0 or 1. These values change the behavior of the entry as follows:
- 0 = build filtered token. This is the default value. The administrator credentials are removed. These credentials are required for remote administration of the print drivers.
- 1 = build elevated token. This value enables the remote administration of the print drivers on a server within a workgroup.
Additional query words: WinVista
Keywords: kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB927832