Microsoft KB Archive/927715
Article ID: 927715
Article Last Modified on 11/16/2007
- Zune Digital Media Player
- Zune software
This article describes how to configure the Zune software to share content from your Zune collection to an Xbox 360 console on a home network. This will let you play music, videos, and pictures from a computer to any Xbox 360 consoles that are on the same network.
To share files on a network, you must meet the following requirements:
- A wired or wireless home network
- The Zune software installed on a computer that is connected to the network
- One or more Xbox 360 consoles that are connected to the network
- The correct Xbox Dashboard version
To share files on a network, you must have version 2.0.4520.0 or a later version of the Xbox Dashboard on the Xbox 360 console. To determine whether you have the required Dashboard version on an Xbox 360 console, follow these steps:
- In the System section of the Xbox Dashboard, select Console Settings.
- Select System Info. The version of the Xbox Dashboard appears on the screen.
You can share most digital media from your Zune collection. This includes protected files that you download from the Zune Marketplace but not files that are purchased from other online stores.
To share a file in your collection, the original file must be stored in one of the monitored folders. By default, the Zune software automatically monitors the folders where people typically store their digital media files. This includes the My Music folder, the My Pictures folder, and the My Videos folder.
Shared files must be formatted in one of the following file types:
- Music files that are in one the following file formats:
- Video files that are in the .wmv file format.
Note You cannot share DVD-Video discs that you insert in a computer.
- Picture files that are in one the following file formats:
- Playlists that are in one the following file formats:
Turn on media sharing in the Zune software
To configure the settings for sharing content with your Xbox 360, follow these steps:
- In the Zune software, click Settings, and then click Sharing.
- In the Media Sharing window, click ENABLE MEDIA SHARING WITH XBOX 360.
- In the Name your collection box, type a name for your media collection.
Note When you share music, videos, and pictures with Xbox 360 consoles, your media is identified on the consoles by the name of your collection. By default, your media collection name is the same as your Microsoft Windows account name.
- Select the type of media that you want to share from the following options:
- Select one of the following Xbox 360 console sharing options:
- Share with all Xbox 360s
This option lets you share your Zune collection with all the Xbox 360 consoles that are on the network.
- Only share with these Xbox 360s
This option lets you select the Xbox 360 consoles with which you want to share your Zune collection.
- Share with all Xbox 360s
After you turn on media sharing, move to the Media section in the Xbox Dashboard to play music, videos, or pictures from your Zune collection on an Xbox 360 console.
Keywords: kbzunesoftware kbzunehardware kbexpertisebeginner kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbhowto KB927715