Microsoft KB Archive/927479
Article ID: 927479
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
You change the system colors in Microsoft Windows. This includes changes to the colors of the Selected Items item in the Advanced Appearance dialog box. You then select text in a Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 e-mail item.
When you do this, the text may be hard to read. However, you expect the color of the text to be inverted to a different color when you select the text so that the text is easier to read. This behavior occured in earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook.
This issue occurs because Outlook 2007 uses Microsoft Office Word 2007 as its e-mail editor. When text is selected in Word 2007, Word 2007 uses a shade of the color that is selected for the Selected Items item in the Advanced Appearance dialog box.
Therefore, when you select text in an Outlook 2007 e-mail item, the text color is not inverted as expected. Instead, the text is displayed as a shade of the color that you selected in the Selected Items item in the Advanced Appearance dialog box.
To work around this issue, revert to the behavior that occurs in earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook. To do this, follow these steps.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
- Exit all 2007 Office programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:
- After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type NoTranslucentSelection, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click NoTranslucentSelection, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Additional query words: outlook2007 outlook2k7 outlook12 ol2007 ol2k7 ol12 word2007 word2k7 word12 wd2007 wd2k7 wd12
Keywords: kbcolor kbdisplay kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB927479