Microsoft KB Archive/927346
Article ID: 927346
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Microsoft XBox 360 Video Game System
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Headset
- Microsoft Xbox
This article describes how to set up and how to use the Xbox 360 Wireless Headset on an Xbox 360 console.
The Xbox 360 Wireless Headset is for use exclusively with the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system.
Set up the wireless headset
- Charge the battery in the wireless headset.
- Connect the wireless headset.
- Put on the wireless headset.
Charge the battery in the wireless headset
Charge your Xbox 360 Wireless Headset before you use the wireless headset for the first time. Also charge your Xbox 360 Wireless Headset when the built-in battery is exhausted. To charge or to recharge the wireless headset, connect one end of the AC power adapter to an AC power outlet. Connect the other end of the AC power adapter to the power input on the wireless headset.
When the battery is charging, the four lights on the wireless headset will flash green in sequence from light one to light four, and then turn off. When the wireless headset is fully charged, all four lights will blink in unison to let you know that the wireless headset is ready for you to use.
- Fully charging the battery can occupy to four hours when you use the supplied AC power adapter.
- If your headset is wirelessly connected to a console, connecting it to the AC power adapter will disconnect it from the console.
- The headset is not functional when it is connected to the AC power adapter.
- If you do not use the headset for a long time, its battery may lose its charge. If this occurs, recharge the headset.
- The headset may become warm when it is charging.
- The headset will power off after two minutes of inactivity.
- The headset will not power off at the same time as the console.
Connect the wireless headset
To connect the wireless headset to the console, press the connect button on the console. Then, press and hold the connect button on the wireless headset for two or more seconds. You have a 20-second window in which to establish the connection.
To connect the wireless headset to the console, follow these steps:
- Verify that the Xbox 360 console is turned on. If the console is not turned on, press the power button to turn on the console.
- Verify that the wireless headset is turned on. If the wireless headset is not turned on, press the power button on the wireless headset to turn on the wireless headset.
- Press and then release the connect button on the console.
- Press and then hold the connect button on the wireless headset for one or more seconds. The wireless headset will automatically be assigned to the first available quadrant on the console's Ring of Light (RoL).
If a controller is connected to the first quadrant, the system will associate the wireless headset with the first quadrant. If another wireless headset is already associated with the first quadrant, the wireless headset will be associated with the second quadrant.
- If you want to associate the wireless headset with a controller on a different quadrant, press the connect button on the wireless headset. This manually advances the quadrant to match the quadrant of the controller that you want. For example, to associate the wireless headset with a controller that is connected to quadrant 3, press the connect button three times within 20 seconds of when you started the connection process. You will hear one beep from the wireless headset if you select the first quadrant, two beeps if you select the second quadrant, and three beeps if you select the third quadrant.
After the lights on the RoL rotate and flash one time, the wireless headset is connected. The quadrant that remains illuminated indicates the association of the wireless headset. The corresponding light on the wireless headset will confirm the quadrant.
- The first time that you use the wireless headset, you must connect your Xbox 360 console to Xbox Live to obtain the latest Dashboard update. For information about Xbox Live, visit the following Web site:
- To use the wireless headset, you must be signed in by using a gamer profile.
- You can connect up to four wireless headsets to a console at the same time. Each wireless headset that you connect is assigned a quadrant on the RoL.
- Before you can connect a wireless headset, at least one quadrant must be available. To disconnect a wireless controller, press and then hold the Xbox Guide button for three seconds. Then, turn the wireless controller off. To disconnect a wired controller, unplug the cable from the console.
- If you want to connect multiple controllers and multiple wireless headsets, connect the wireless headset first, and then connect the controller that will be used by that player. Continue to connect the accessories in this alternating pattern for each player.
- You do not require a controller for the wireless headset to function together with the console. If you do not connect a controller, the wireless headset will occupy its own quadrant on the RoL. If you do not connect a controller and you have a friends list, you can open a chat window or send a voice message. To do this, use the wireless headset together with the Xbox 360 Media Remote or together with the Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote.
- A regular wired Xbox 360 Headset takes precedence over a wireless headset. A wireless headset cannot be associated with a controller that is already associated with a wired headset. To use a wireless headset instead, disconnect the wired headset, and then repeat the connection steps for the wireless headset.
- When you turn off the console, the wireless headset also turns off. However, the wireless headset will still maintain its connection to the console the next time that you turn on the console.
- You can connect a wireless headset to only one console at a time. If you connect a wireless headset to a new console, you will lose the connection to the previously connected console.
- The Xbox 360 Wireless Headset works only within nine meters (30 feet) of the console.
Note Objects between the controller and the console can reduce this range.
Put on the wireless headset
- Try one of the wireless headset earloops. If the earloop does not fit comfortably, try the other earloop.
Earloops snap off and on and will only connect in the correct orientation. Do not force an earloop on the wireless headset. To make sure that the earloops fit correctly, use the earloops that are supplied with the wireless headset.
- Fit the headset snugly over either ear so that its padded earpiece rests comfortably over your ear.
- Adjust the microphone.
- The wireless headset is now ready for a game or a chat session. After you start a game or a chat session, you can use the volume-up and volume-down buttons to adjust the volume to a comfortable level.
Note You can adjust the microphone so that it is positioned higher or lower on your face or closer or farther from your face.
Important Do not put too much force on the microphone. The microphone can break if too much pressure is applied.
Use the wireless headset
Turn the wireless headset on and off
Press the power button to turn on the wireless headset. Press and then hold the power button to turn off the wireless headset. When you turn off your console, the wireless headset automatically turns off.
The next time that you turn on the console and turn on the wireless headset, the console and the wireless headset will still be wirelessly connected. The volume setting on the wireless headset will be at the same level at which you left it.
Adjust the volume level
To adjust the volume level of the wireless headset, press the volume-up button or press the volume-down button. Press and then hold either button to continuously raise or lower the volume.
To temporarily mute the microphone, briefly press the power button. To turn off the mute function, briefly press the power button. Two beeps confirm that mute setting was changed.
Warning Extended exposure to high volumes when you are using a headset may result in temporary or permanent hearing loss.
The wireless headset emits the following low-power warnings:
- Two audible tones: This warning means that there are approximately 30 minutes of battery life remaining.
- Three audible tones: This warning means that there are approximately five minutes of battery life remaining.
Clean the wireless headset
To clean the wireless headset, only use a dry cloth or slightly damp cloth. Cleaning solutions may damage the wireless headset.
Care for the wireless headset
To help prevent damage to the wireless headset, store the wireless headset in a dry location where there is no risk of heavy items falling on the wireless headset. Do not leave the wireless headset or any accessories in a location where people might accidentally trip over the wireless headset. Do not sit or step on the wireless headset.
Keywords: kbhowto kbxboxperipherals kbxbox360pacrimportal kbxbox360europeportal kbxbox360americasportal kbxbox360ext kbpubtypekc kbinfo KB927346