Microsoft KB Archive/927284
Article ID: 927284
Article Last Modified on 10/15/2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
Consider the following scenario. You open a Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation that contains a link to a Microsoft Excel item, such as data or an Excel chart, in an Excel
worksheet. When you click to update the link in the presentation, you receive the following error message:
NoteThis issue may occur in other scenarios that involve a link to data items in other programs.
This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
- The Excel item is contained in an Excel workbook that is located on a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path or in a document library on a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Web site.
- The Excel item is contained in an Excel workbook that is located on an HTTP location. Additionally, the PowerPoint slide is linked to another PowerPoint slide in the presentation.
- The Excel item, not the whole workbook, is linked to the PowerPoint 2007 presentation.
To work around this issue, do not update the links in the presentation. When the presentation is open, you must delete the linked Excel item from the PowerPoint 2007 presentation. Then, re-create the link to the Excel item. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Excel, select the Excel item such as the data range or the Excel chart that you want to link.
- On the Home tab, click Copy in the Clipboard group.
- Open the presentation in PowerPoint 2007.
- On the Home tab, click the arrow on the Paste button in the Clipboard group, and then click Paste Special.
- In the Paste Special dialog box, click Paste Link, click Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object or Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object in the As box, and then click OK.
Additional query words: powerpoint2007 powerpoint2k7 powerpoint12 ppt2007 ppt2k7 ppt12
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kboleapp kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB927284