Microsoft KB Archive/927138
Article ID: 927138
Article Last Modified on 11/15/2007
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
This article describes the Microsoft Office 2003 issue that is fixed in the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package that is dated October 23, 2006.
This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- The issues that the hotfix package fixes.
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package.
- Whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package.
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package.
- Whether you must make any registry changes.
- The files that the hotfix package contains.
Issue that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you open a portable network graphics (.png) file in a picture editor such as Microsoft Photo Editor, the graphics file may open as a blank picture or as a solid black picture.
This issue may occur after you install the security updates that are described in security bulletin MS06-039. For more information about security bulletin MS06-039, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
915384 MS06-039: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office filters could allow remote code execution
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note If additional issues occur or any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. To create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
This hotfix package is a post Office 2003 Service Pack 2 hotfix package. To install the hotfix package, you must have Office 2003 Service Pack 2 installed. For more information about Office 2003 Service Pack 2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
870924 How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
To use one of the hotfixes in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build. This hotfix contains only the files that you must have to correct the issues that are listed in this article.
The English version of this hotfix uses a Microsoft Windows Installer package to install the hotfix. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) in the following table. When you view the file information, the date is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information
|File name||File size||Date||Time|
After the hotfix is installed, the English version of this hotfix has the file attributes, or a later version of the file attributes, that are listed in the following table:
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
- For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For more information about the terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Additional query words: office2003 office2k3 office11 off2003 off2k3 off11 access2003 access2k3 access11 excel2003 excel2k3 excel11 xl2003 xl2k3 xl11 frontpage2003 frontpage2k3 frontpage11 fp2003 fp2k3 fp11 onenote2003 onenote2k3 onenote11 on2003 on2k3 on11 outlook2003 outlook2k3 outlook11 ol2003 ol2k3 ol11 powerpoint2003 powerpoint2k3 powerpoint11 ppt2003 ppt2k3 ppt11 project2003 project2k3 project11 prj2003 prj2k3 prj11 publisher2003 publisher2k3 publisher11 pub2003 pub2k3 pub11 word2003 word2k3 word11 wd2003 wd2k3 wd11
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbqfe kbpubtypekc kbhotfixrollup kbexpertiseinter kbhotfixserver kboffice2003presp3fix KB927138