Microsoft KB Archive/927081
Article ID: 927081
Article Last Modified on 5/14/2007
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
Consider the following scenario. The servers in a server farm are running Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0. You try to perform an in-place upgrade of the servers to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. In the Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 server farm, the Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Indexing Service and Job Service are running on separate servers. In this scenario, when you try to upgrade the servers that are running the Indexing Service, the upgrade fails and you receive the following error message:
This issue occurs when you install Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, and you use the default Web site in Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) as the Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Administration Web site. The default Web site on the computer that is running the Indexing Service does not contain a web.config file. Therefore, the upgrade fails.
To resolve this problem, rename the Default Web Site on the computer that is running the Indexing Service, and then rerun the upgrade process. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log on to the computer that is running the Indexing Service by using an account that has administrative permissions.
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- In Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, expand
ServerName(local Computer), expand Web Sites, right-click Default Web Site, and then click Properties.
- On the Web Site tab, type a new name in the Description field, and then click OK.
- Rerun the upgrade.
- After the upgrade is complete, repeat steps 2 through 4, and then rename the Web site back to Default Web Site.
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB927081