Microsoft KB Archive/926917
Article ID: 926917
Article Last Modified on 11/17/2007
- Zune Digital Media Player
- Zune software
- Zune 4GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 8GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 30GB Digital Media Player
- Zune 80GB Digital Media Player
This article describes how to erase all content from your Zune device. Erasing the hard drive will remove all audio, videos, podcasts, and pictures that are stored on the Zune device.
To erase all content from your Zune device, follow these steps:
- Start the Zune software on the computer.
- Connect your Zune device by using the Zune Sync Cable.
- Click settings, and then click device.
- Click Sync Options, and then click Erase All Content.
- When you receive the following message, click Yes:
You receive the "Erase All Contents" message. This may take several minutes. Do not move or disconnect the Zune device until the message disappears.
If you applied a custom background picture, the erase procedure will not remove it.
For more information about how to remove the custom background, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
926918 After you erase all content from your Zune device, the picture that you applied as the background is still visible
Erase content from a Zune device without using a computer
You can also erase the content from a Zune device without using the Zune software. This method is useful when you want to erase the content but you do not have access to a computer.
Caution No warning or confirmation message will appear on the Zune device when you use this procedure.
To erase the Zune device without using a computer and the Zune Software, follow the steps for the Zune device that you are using:
- Set the Hold switch to unlocked.
- Press and hold the Back button at the same time as you press the top of the Zune pad.
- If you have a Zune 4 GB, Zune 8BG, or Zune 80GB, immediately press and hold the Back button at the same time as you press the right side of the Zune pad and the Play/Pause button. Continue to hold these buttons until the Zune device restarts and you receive the following message:
If you have a Zune 30GB, immediately press and hold the Back button Back at the same time that you press the right side of the Zune pad and the center of the Zune pad. Continue to hold these buttons until the Zune device restarts and you receive the following message:
When the home screen appears, the erase is complete, and you can again use the Zune device.
Keywords: kbzunehardware kbexpertisebeginner kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbhowto KB926917