Microsoft KB Archive/92573
Article ID: 92573
Article Last Modified on 10/12/2003
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q92573
When a network connection is made with Chat, ClipBook, File Manager, or Print Manager in Windows for Workgroups (WFWG), it is placed in the WIN.INI file in a Most Recently Used (MRU) list.
The purpose of the Most Recently Used sections of the WIN.INI file is to maintain a list of previous connections for the network-aware utilities in Windows for Workgroups. Once an entry is made in the Most Recently Used list, it can only be removed by either adding enough new connections or editing the WIN.INI file.
In the WIN.INI file, the previous connections are stored in three different sections:
- Chat and ClipBook connections are stored in the [MRU_Chat] section. The limit on the number of previous connections in this section is 12.
- File Manager connections are stored in the [MRU_Files] section. The limit on the number of previous connections in this section is 12.
- Print Manager connections are stored in the [MRU_Printers] section. The limit on the number of previous connections in this section is 12.
At the top of each of these sections is an Order= line and it keeps the order of the most recently used connections. Below the Order= line is the list of all the connections that correspond to the letters in the Order= line.
For example, if the Order=dabc line is present, the most recent connection made was the connection listed under d=, while the connection that has gone the longest without being used is listed on the c= line.
Removing a Connection from the MRU List
To remove a connection from a Most Recently Used list, use the following steps:
- Edit the WIN.INI file using any text editor.
- Locate the appropriate Most Recently Used section.
- Delete the line that lists the connection.
Reorder the lines so that there is no break in the order. For example, when there are connections listed from "a" to "e" as in the following list (when "d=\\george" is deleted), change "e=\\lisa" to "d=\\lisa".
[MRU_Chat] Order=cadeb a=\\john b=\\bill c=\\susan d=\\george e=\\lisa
- Remove references to any connections that no longer exist from the Order= line. In the above example, "e" was renamed to "d," so the Order= should be changed to Order=cadb.
- Save the changes to the WIN.INI file and restart Windows for Workgroups.
Connections are also removed if the limit is exceeded by adding a new connection. Once the limit is exceeded, the last connection referenced in the Order= line is removed and the new connection becomes the first on the Order= line.
Additional query words: 3.10 3.1 win31 3.11