Microsoft KB Archive/925698
Article ID: 925698
Article Last Modified on 10/10/2006
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
You try to install hotfix 908981 for Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions for Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computers. When you do this, you cannot install the hotfix. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
Additionally, the KB908981.log file contains the following error message:
This issue may be caused if one or more of the following conditions are true:
- The necessary Microsoft Windows registry information for FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions is unavailable.
Note This condition occurs if FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions was originally downloaded and installed from a Web site.
- FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions was uninstalled, and some shared .dll files were not removed.
Note These files are usually located in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\50\bin
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To resolve this problem, update the Windows registry, and then reinstall the hotfix. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\5.0\Setup Packages
- On the Edit menu, point to New, click String Value, type Microsoft Windows, and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify, type 126.96.36.19938, and then click OK.
- Reinstall hotfix 908981.
For more information about hotfix 908981, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
908981 Description of the security update for FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions for Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computers: April 11, 2006
Keywords: kbhotfixes kbtshoot kbprb KB925698