Microsoft KB Archive/925222
Article ID: 925222
Article Last Modified on 9/10/2007
- Windows Live OneCare
Windows Live OneCare provides a command-line tool to remove or to quarantine viruses in safe mode. This article describes how to use this tool.
You cannot remove some viruses when Microsoft Windows is running in its usual mode. You must remove these viruses in safe mode. Windows Live OneCare provides a tool to remove or to quarantine viruses in safe mode.
Important Use this tool only if a support agent directs you to do this.
To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Restart the computer in safe mode.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
cd %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live
- Type SafeModeAVScanner, include the options that are provided by support personnel, and then press ENTER.
If you type SafeModeAVScanner without options, the following help appears:
C:\Program Files\Windows Live OneCare> SafeModeAVScanner Windows Live OneCare Safe Mode Virus and Spyware Scanning Tool Usage: SafeModeAVScanner.exe [–s | –d <directory to scan>] [–b –h]
Usage: SafeModeAVScanner.exe [–s | –d <
directory to scan>] [–b –h]
- -s scans the whole computer.
Note You cannot use -d together with this option.
filepathscans a specified file or folder.
- -b scans the boot sector. When you use this option, memory is not scanned.
- -h performs a heuristic scan. This kind of scan looks for behavior that may indicate the presence of a virus.
- SafeModeAVScanner –s –h
These options use heuristic-based detection to scan the whole computer.
- SafeModeAVScanner –d c:\Users –h –b
These options scan the c:\Users folder and all boot sectors.
Keywords: kbhowto kbmsnpartnerportal kbexpertisebeginner kbmsnqwestportal KB925222