Microsoft KB Archive/925097
Article ID: 925097
Article Last Modified on 12/3/2007
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you run the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Windows SBS) Backup Configuration Wizard, certain drives or devices may not be available as targets for the backup location.
This problem occurs because the Windows SBS Backup Configuration Wizard lets you use only a physical drive, a tape device, or a network share as a target for a backup location.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
- Determine the drive letter for the device. To do this, click My Computer on the Windows SBS-based computer, locate the drive under Devices with Removable Storage, and then note the drive letter that is assigned to the device.
- Run the Windows SBS Backup Configuration Wizard. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Windows SBS-based computer, click Start, and then click Server Management.
- Click Backup, and then click Configure Backup.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- Click Change existing backup settings, and then click Next.
- In the Store backup files at this location box, type the path of a physical drive or of a valid network location, such as the C:\Backups folder, and then click Next. If you receive the following message, click No:
- Finish the Windows SBS Backup Configuration Wizard.
- Edit the registry to modify the backup target location. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- In the right pane, double-click Backup Location Path, and then change the drive letter to match the drive letter that is assigned to the removable device.
- Click OK to accept the registry changes and to exit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb KB925097