Microsoft KB Archive/92473
Article ID: 92473
Article Last Modified on 8/16/2005
- Microsoft PowerPoint 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q92473
If you print shadowed text from PowerPoint to a Hewlett-Packard (HP) LaserJet II series (or another PCL level 4 printer), it is not printed as expected. Both the text and the text shadow are printed in black, causing the text to appear double. You see this if you use either a shadowed text style or apply an object shadow to text.
The printer control language (PCL) of Hewlett-Packard LaserJet series printers does not support printing text in any shade of gray. The LaserJet Series III uses PCL level 5, which does support printing text as white, but does not print text in any shade of gray.
The LaserJet series printer drivers that are included with Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 have an option to Print TrueType As Graphics. This option allows text formatted as white to be printed in white, but it does not enable a PCL printer to print gray text.
Method 1. Change the Slide Background
One way to create text with a drop shadow and print it correctly to a LaserJet class of printer is to give your PowerPoint slide a gray or colored background and format the shadowed text so that either the text or the text shadow is white. In addition, if you are using a LaserJet II-class printer, you must follow these steps:
- On the File menu, click Print Setup.
- Select your LaserJet II-class printer driver as a specific printer for either your Slides or your Notes, Handouts, and Outline pages. Click Setup.
- In the Setup dialog box, choose Options.
- Select the check box labeled Print TrueType As Graphic. Click OK.
- Click OK in the Setup dialog box. Then click OK in the Print Setup dialog box to return to the PowerPoint presentation.
The shadowed text in this one special instance prints as desired.
Method 2 Create a Text Effect
Create the text using WordArt.
Additional query words: grey letters shadow overlap double ppt30 ppt40 powerpt
Keywords: kbprint KB92473