Microsoft KB Archive/924634
Article ID: 924634
Article Last Modified on 9/29/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
When you try to upgrade a Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 or SMS 2.0 site server, the upgrade is unsuccessful. Additionally, you receive the following error message in the SMSSETUP.log file:
This problem occurs when one or more SMS services do not stop successfully or are restarted during the upgrade.
To work around this problem, you must stop all SMS services, and then set Startup type to Manual before you perform the upgrade. To do this, follow these steps:
- Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the SMS site server that you want to upgrade.
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
- In Services, right-click the SMS services that you want to stop, and then click Properties.
- In the SMS service properties dialog box, click Stop on the General tab, set Startup type to Manual, and then click OK.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each SMS service that is listed in Services.
- Restart the SMS site server computer.
These steps prevent the upgrade from restarting the SMS services. The upgrade reinstalls the SMS components, and then resets the default Startup type values for the services.
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb KB924634