Microsoft KB Archive/924151
Article ID: 924151
Article Last Modified on 12/1/2006
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
You use the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) to run a distributed transaction on a Microsoft SQL Server 2005-based or Microsoft SQL Server 2000-based failover cluster. However, a fatal error occurs. When this problem occurs, SQL Server may not connect to MS DTC. Additionally, the following error message may be written to the SQL error log:
This problem occurs when SQL Server exits with a fatal error, the computer that is running SQL Server does not disconnect from MS DTC, and failover occurs. In this scenario, MS DTC assumes that the following conditions are true:
- Two computers that are running SQL Server have the same GUID.
- The two computers are trying to connect to the same MS DTC resource.
This behavior causes SQL Server not to connect to MS DTC.
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
- Restart the MS DTC resource in the cluster.
- Create a MS DTC resource in the same cluster group as SQL Server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Keywords: kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot KB924151