Microsoft KB Archive/923920
Article ID: 923920
Article Last Modified on 10/15/2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
When you open a smart document solution on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Vista, you receive the following error message:
This issue may occur if the smart document solution .dll file was written by using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0.
Microsoft Office 2003 Smart Documents from Visual Basic 6.0 are broken on Vista. The damage appears to be limited to Visual Basic 6.0, so there is no workaround now. The problem is that we fail to register the DLL file (SDocBVT.dll) if you don't run Word as an administrator permission, which can't be operated on Vista.
You can reproduce this issue by opening a Visual Basic 6.0 sample document in the Microsoft Office 2003 Smart Document Software Development Kit (SDK). To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Microsoft Office 2003 Developer Resources.
- Click Microsoft Office 2003 Smart Document SDK, click Samples, and then click Visual Basic 6.0.
- Click one of the following:
- SimpleSample VB6 Smart Document (Excel 2003).
- SimpleSample VB6 Smart Document (Word 2003).
For more information about the Office 2003 Smart Document Software Development Kit (SDK), visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Additional query words: excel2003 excel2k3 excel11 xl2003 xl2k3 xl11 word2003 word2k3 word11 wd2003 wd2k3 wd11 excel2007 excel2k7 excel12 xl2007 xl2k7 xl12 windowsvista winvista
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbvbx kbprogramming kbautomation kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB923920