Microsoft KB Archive/923906
Article ID: 923906
Article Last Modified on 7/9/2007
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
When you try to open a folder in a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 document library in Explorer View, the folder does not open.
Specifically, this problem occurs when you connect to a document library in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Web site by using Microsoft Internet Explorer. You browse a folder in the document library, and then you click Open with Windows Explorer on the Actions menu. However, nothing happens. Or, you receive the following message:
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- You are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.
- The path of the folder contains more than 100 characters.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Apply hotfix 325355 for Internet Explorer 6. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
325355 You cannot access Word documents by using Outlook Web Access on a server that is running SharePoint Portal Server
- Use Windows Internet Explorer 7. For more information about Windows Internet Explorer 7, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
The maximum length for a URL in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is 260 characters. Additionally, a file name or a folder name in a URL cannot contain more than 128 characters.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
923174 Error message when you use Explorer View in a document library in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: "Unexpected error occurred" or "Explorer View requires Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater and Web Folders"
Additional query words: wssv3 wss https
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB923906