Microsoft KB Archive/57306
Word: Incompatibility with Deneba’s Comment Utility PSS ID Number: Q57306 Article last modified on 03-04-1993 PSS database name: M_WorD
Comment is an electronic annotation utility marketed by Deneba Software. It offers three options of attached notes: attach to document, attach to individual word, and timed notes. Currently, the attach to individual word option is not compatible with Microsoft Word for the Macintosh version 4.00. Deneba Customer Service notes that a correction may be available in the future. In the meantime, comments can be attached to documents.
If an alternative method is desired, footnotes can serve as individual notes. The following steps are suggested:
- From the Edit menu, choose Preferences and select Show Hidden Text.
- Hold down the SHIFT key and choose Define All Styles from the Format menu.
- Select the “footnote reference” style. Add the Hidden Text format from the Format Character dialog box. Click Define.
- Select the “footnote text” style. Add the Hidden Text format from the Format Character dialog box. Click Define, then click OK to exit the dialog box.
- From the Document menu, choose Footnote (or press COMMAND+E) to insert any desired notations.
- You can open and close the Footnote pane by holding down the SHIFT key and dragging the split bar downward (or by pressing SHIFT+OPTION+COMMAND+S).
Footnotes and reference marks will not print if the Print Hidden Text option in the Print dialog box is not selected.
For more information, see page 63 in the “Reference to Microsoft Word” version 4.0 manual.
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1993.