Microsoft KB Archive/57190
Excel: Adding a New Series to an Existing Chart
Information can be added to an existing Microsoft Excel chart by using the Paste command without creating a new chart. To add a new series to an existing chart, do the following:
- Activate the worksheet.
- Select the range containing the information to be added.
- From the Edit menu, choose Copy.
- From the Window menu, choose the existing chart to make the chart active.
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste.
- Click the OK button.
A new series will appear in the chart, and if a legend is present, a new entry appears in the legend. If you need to control the data plotting, use the Paste Special command instead of Paste, and select the options you want.
An alternative method to add a new series to an existing chart in Excel 4.0 only, is by using the ChartWizard tool button. Do the following with the existing chart active:
- Press the ChartWizard tool button.
- Modify the reference in the Range edit box to include the new range of cells,
- Press the Next> button and then press OK.
The existing chart will update to include the new set of data points.
For more information about Excel data series, see page 402 of the "Microsoft Excel User's Guide 1," version 4.0 manual. If you are using version 3.0, see page 396 of the "Microsoft Excel User's Guide" version 3.0 manual. For more information about adding a data series from a worksheet, see pages 438-442 of the "Microsoft Excel User's Guide 1," version 4.0 manual. If you are using version 3.0, see pages 438-440 of the "Microsoft Excel User's Guide" version 3.0 manual.
Additional query words:
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: March 15, 1999