Microsoft KB Archive/51576
Infinite Repagination Loop in Page View
PSS ID Number: Q51576 Article last modified on 03-07-1997
====================================================================== 4.00 MACINTOSH kbusage buglist4.00 fixlist4.00a
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh, version 4.0|
It is possible to end up in an infinite repagination loop in Microsoft Word for the Macintosh Version 4.00 in Page View if the following conditions are present:
- The file is a multicolumn document.
- At the bottom of a column there is a carriage return.
- There are multiple page breaks immediately following this carriage return. The number of page breaks necessary to cause the hang is the number of columns to the right of the column with this carriage return.
- The font is relatively small: Times 12 point or New York 10 point.
The following will reproduce the error:
- In Page View, place your cursor at the bottom of the first column in a three-column document.
- Press RETURN.
- Insert two page breaks.
The computer will hang in an infinite loop of repagination.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word version 4.00. We are researching this problem and will post new information here as it becomes available.
KBCategory: kbusage buglist4.00 fixlist4.00a KBSubCategory: Additional reference words: macword macword5
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1997.