Microsoft KB Archive/51164
Misalignment of Columns with Okidata 192 and Multiplan PSS ID Number: Q51164 Article last modified on 03-28-1990 PSS database name: D_MPlan
You may experience misalignment of columns or duplicate characters when attempting to print from an Okidata Microline 192 with Multiplan Versions 4.00, 4.01, 4.20. This problem occurs because Multiplan is assuming that fonts are monospace, when in fact the printer may be set up to print proportional fonts.
The printer is capable of remembering settings that are entered through a series of front panel button selections. A procedure for changing the Menu Select Mode table is described on Pages 5-1 through 5-8 of the “Okidata Personal Printer User’s Manual.” Menu item 18 is PROP SP (proportional spacing). This option should be set to “No” for correct alignment of columns in Multiplan.
The following instructions explain how to change the print mode of the printer from proportional-space printing to monospace printing. Monospace printing forces the printer to take up the same amount of horizontal space for every letter. In contrast, if the printer is in proportional-font mode, the letter “I” will take up less horizontal space than the letter “W”. Although monospace printing improves the appearance of the text by leaving less white space between narrow characters, it may cause misalignment of text in spreadsheets.
The following instructions explain how to change from proportional-font mode to monospace mode, avoiding the misalignment of characters problem:
- Hold the FORM FEED button (FF) down while turning on the printer. Notice that “MENU PRINT?” is printed.
- Press the SELECT button to print the current settings.
- Notice that the third from last option printed is “PROP SP” and that it is set to “Y” for yes.
- Press the FORM FEED button 18 times. This process causes each option to be printed with the current setting. The 18th press should cause “PROP SP Y” to be printed.
- “PROP SP Y” can be turned from “Y” to “N” by pressing the SELECT button.
- To end this session, press the TOF SET button.
- Turn off the printer and move the paper to the top-of-form position, which is one line above the top of the page.
At this point Multiplan will print with correct alignment of each character in the columns.
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1990.