Microsoft KB Archive/50466
Article ID: 50466
Article Last Modified on 11/21/2006
This article was previously published under Q50466
If an "OUT OF MEMORY" error message results from moving a SUBprogram via the Move button in the SUBS... option (F2 hotkey) from the View menu in the QB.EXE editor in QuickBasic Version 4.50, the SUBprogram may be lost.
This problem occurs only with very large, multiple-module programs that are running out of available memory. Any program that is large enough to create this problem is usually too large to effectively run in QB.EXE. To avoid this problem, use programs that do not approach the memory limitations of your machine.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in QuickBasic Version 4.50 for MS-DOS. This problem was corrected in QBX.EXE of Microsoft Basic PDS Version 7.00 (fixlist7.00).
To reproduce this problem, perform the following steps:
- Use a large multiple-module program.
- Load all the modules into QB.EXE.
- Choose the SUBS... option from the View menu (or press F2).
- Highlight a SUBprogram or FUNCTION.
- Choose the Move option.
- Pick a destination module.
- To duplicate the problem, you must receive an "OUT OF MEMORY" message at this point. If you View that SUBprogram, it will have lost its contents.
- If you were not able to reproduce the problem, increase the size of one or more of the modules and repeat from Step 3.
Additional query words: QuickBas BasicCom SR# S891026-32 buglist4.50 B_BasicCom