Microsoft KB Archive/48294
PRJ: How to Reset Work Field on Fixed Duration Task
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Project for Windows, versions 1.0, 3.0, 3.0a, 4.0
- Microsoft Project for the Macintosh, versions 1.1, 3.0, 4.0
In Project for Windows and Macintosh, using the Fixed Duration scheduling method, a resource's Work field is automatically calculated based on Duration. However, if the Work field is changed manually, then it will no longer be recalculated if Duration is changed, allowing you to keep known estimates for a resource.
To reset this field so it will recalculate again when Duration is changed, do the following:
- Change to the Resource Driven scheduling method by unchecking the Fixed check box on the Task Form. Duration will be recalculated based on resources that drive the task.
- If you want the task duration to reflect effort (work), simply change back to the Fixed Duration scheduling method by checking the Fixed check box on the Task Form and then selecting OK. The Work field will be reset. However, if you want to relcaculate work but use a duration other than the one calculated by effort, change the duration then press OK.
- Change back to Fixed Duration method by checking the Fixed check box on the Task Form and then selecting OK.
Additional query words: 1.00 1.10 3.00
Keywords : kbusage
Issue type : kbhowto
Last Reviewed: November 3, 2000