Microsoft KB Archive/48291
Word Doc Err: Renumber by Example in Outlining Mode
PSS ID Number: Q48291 Article last modified on 03-07-1997
====================================================================== 4.00 MACINTOSH kbusage kbdocerr
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh, version 4.0|
The Microsoft Word version 4.00 Help file shows an incorrect example of numbering paragraphs. The Help file states that if you use 1.A.1.a) to renumber an outline, the following number assignments are assigned to outline levels:
This example is incorrect because all numbers/letters in the example must be followed by the same type of marker; that is, all numbering must be followed by a period OR a parenthesis, not a mixture of the two.
The above example causes all numbers or letters to be followed by parentheses. The paragraph numbering takes on the characteristics of the last item in the example.
To achieve the expected results, use the following instructions:
- Format the first set of paragraphs as you want all the sets to be numbered. All other paragraphs can be left alone at this point.
- Select all the paragraphs you want numbered, including the first set.
- From the Utilities menu, choose Renumber.
- Delete everything in the Format box, so that it is blank.
- Make sure the By Example button is selected.
- Click OK.
KBCategory: kbusage kbdocerr KBSubCategory: kbformat Additional reference words: macword macword5 ====================================================================== ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1997.