Microsoft KB Archive/45770
WD: Using Apple File Exchange to Convert WordPerfect Files
PSS ID Number: Q45770 Article last modified on 02-02-1998
MACINTOSH: 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh versions 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1 ———————————————————————-
To use the WordPerfect 4.x or 5.x/RTF (or DCA-RTF) conversion scripts with Apple File Exchange (AFE) on an Apple high-density drive (available on a Macintosh SE or later that has a SuperDrive or FDHD drive), the translator scripts must be copied into the Apple File Exchange folder.
To transfer a file from Microsoft Word version 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 Rich Text Format (RTF) to WordPerfect or DCA format on a MS-DOS formatted disk, follow these steps:
Save the Word file in RTF format.
On the File menu, click Save As.
In Word 3.x and 4.x, click File Format. In Word 5.x click the Save File as Type list box.
Click Interchange (RTF) format. Click OK in Word 3.x and 4.x.
Save the document.
Start Apple File Exchange.
Open the folder containing the file so it can be seen on both sides of the screen.
On the Mac To Mac menu, click the appropriate translation (WordPerfect or DCA), and click Translate.
Insert the DOS-formatted disk and make sure there are menus called Mac To DOS and DOS To Mac.
Select the translated file in the window with the Mac files and click Translate. This converts the file to MS-DOS format and places it on the MS-DOS disk.
To transfer a file from WordPerfect or DCA on an MS-DOS-formatted disk to Macintosh Word’s RTF format on the Macintosh, follow these steps:
- Start Apple File Exchange.
- In one window, open the DOS disk in the high-density drive. In the other window, open the destination folder for the converted file.
- Click to select the file and click Translate to convert the file to Macintosh format.
- Close the high density drive window and open the folder containing the translated file. The same translated file should appear in both windows.
- Choose the appropriate translation to convert for DCA or WordPerfect -> RTF from the Mac To Mac menu.
- Click Translate. This translates the file from WordPerfect (or DCA) to the RTF format for use with Word.
Since the release of Word version 4.0, WordPerfect versions 5.0 and 5.1 have also been released. A new Apple File Exchange translator is available for transferring files created with these new versions of WordPerfect.
Additional query words: textconv AFE Apple File Exchange
Keywords : macword kbinterop Version : MACINTOSH: 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 Platform : MACINTOSH Issue type : kbhowto ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.