Microsoft KB Archive/44830
Word: Transferring Documents Between Word 4.00 and Word 3.x PSS ID Number: Q44830 Article last modified on 08-17-1993 PSS database name: APpsConV
3.00 3.01 3.02 4.00
Documents created in Word versions 3.0x can be transferred to Word 4.00 by following these steps:
- Double-click the Word 4.00 program icon (which will open an “Untitled” document.
- From the File menu, choose Open.
- Either double-click the name of the 3.0x document or click the name of the document once to select it, then click Open.
- When the document is opened it will be in the “Word 4.00” format.
If Word 3.0x is not present on the hard drive but Word 4.00 is, then a number of Word 3.0x documents can be converted to Word 4.00 format all at the same time. To do this, use the following procedure:
- Hold down the SHIFT key and click each document to be converted. Make sure the SHIFT key remains held down while clicking each document; this allows all documents to remain highlighted.
- From the File menu, choose Open. When the documents are opened they will be converted to Word 4.00 format.
To transfer a Word 4.00 document to Word 3.0x, follow these steps:
- From the Edit menu, choose Full Menus. If Short Menus appear then Word is already in Full Menus.
- From the File menu, choose Save As.
- In the lower-left corner of the Save As dialog box, click File Format.
- Choose the “Word 3.0/ Microsoft Write” format and click OK.
- Click Save.
- The document can now be opened from within Word 3.0x
Please note that if Word 4.00 documents are not first saved in the 3.0x format, they will be opened as text files within Word 3.0x.
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1993.