Microsoft KB Archive/44240
Article ID: 44240
Article Last Modified on 11/21/2006
This article was previously published under Q44240
The procedure below reproduces a problem editing a file that is a secondary module that does not include the same named COMMON block as the main module. After you follow the steps below, QB.EXE hangs when trying to execute the program.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft QuickBasic Compiler Version 4.50. This problem was corrected in the QBX.EXE environment of Microsoft Basic Professional Development System (PDS) Version 7.00 for MS-DOS and MS OS/2 (fixlist7.00).
The problem occurs whether the programs are saved in the "Fast Load and SAVE" or "Text" format.
Refer to the following modules in the procedure below:
COMMON /c/ d() DIM d(1)
The steps that reproduce the problem are as follows:
- Get into QuickBasic and create MODULE A (which contains the code above).
- Press ALT+F C to create MODULE B (which has no code in it).
- Press ALT+F V (save all) and ALT+F X to exit QB.EXE.
- Start QuickBasic again, loading MODULE A with the command "QB A" (this also loads B.BAS).
- Press F5 to start the program.
- Go to MODULE B with F2 and select B.BAS.
- Type anything into MODULE B and backspace over it so that nothing is in the module, as before.
- Save all the modules with ALT+F V. (Actually, any sort of save here reproduces the problem.)
- Press F5 to continue.
- Press F5 and the program hangs. [Any combination of F5, SHIFT+F5, and ALT+R R (restart) in Steps 7 and 8 reproduces this problem.]
Additional query words: QuickBas BasicCom SR# S890501-102 buglist4.50 B_BasicCom