Microsoft KB Archive/38912
Computer Hangs Reading File Converted by Word Exchange
PSS ID Number: Q38912 Article last modified on 09-26-1995
4.00 5.00 5.50
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Word for MS-DOS versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.5|
Your computer will hang if you edit near the end of a large text file that was converted to Word for DOS format with certain releases of the Word Exchange conversion program. Systems Compatibility Corporation has confirmed this to be a problem with certain releases of its product.
To correct this problem, check the Word Exchange Program disk to see which release you have. If the serial number begins with 530 or 330, contact Systems Compatibility Corporation for an upgrade. It can be reached at (312) 329-0700.
This problem occurs when you duplicate the following steps:
- Convert a large file to a Word-formatted file using Word Exchange.
- In Word, load the file and select any portion of text.
- Choose Copy (Word 5.5: from the Edit menu, choose Copy) and copy the selected text to the scrap.
- Press CTRL+PGDN to move to the end of the document.
- Choose Insert (Word 5.5: from the Edit menu, choose Paste). At this point, the computer will hang.
This problem occurs because Word Exchange fails to put an end-of-file character into the converted document.
KBCategory: kbinterop KBSubCategory: Additional reference words: textconv ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1995.