Microsoft KB Archive/36438
Word: Table Formats Lost When Saving in Word 3.0 Format PSS ID Number: Q36438 Article last modified on 08-17-1993 PSS database name: APpsConV
4.00 5.00 5.10
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1|
When you save documents from Microsoft Word for the Macintosh versions 4.0 and later in Word versions 3.0, 3.01, or 3.02 format, all table formatting will be lost because Word versions 3.x do not support tables. You can use one of the following methods to preserve table formatting:
To retain table formats with tab or comma delimiters, select each table and choose Table To Text from the Document menu before saving the file in Word 3.0 format. This method does not retain cell formatting.
To retain the table as a graphic (cannot be edited, but includes cell formats such as borders), do the following:
- If necessary, choose Hide Paragraph from the Edit menu.
- Select the entire table (press OPTION and double-click anywhere in the table).
- Press COMMAND+OPTION+D to convert the selection to a graphic in the Clipboard.
- Position the insertion point at the beginning of the first paragraph following the table. Press the ENTER key on the numeric keypad to insert a paragraph mark.
- Select the entire table and the paragraph mark following it.
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste to replace the selection with the graphic stored on the Clipboard.
Additional reference words: mswdtable 3.00 4.0 4.00 5.00 5.10
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1993.