Microsoft KB Archive/35803
Article ID: 35803
Article Last Modified on 11/19/2003
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.0
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1a
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 6.0a
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 6.0b
This article was previously published under Q35803
On page 214, section 11.1.1, of the "Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1 Programmer's Guide", the documentation indicates that the equal sign (=) directive may be used with expressions that evaluate to an address. However, if the address refers to an external label, MASM 5.1 and 5.1a will generate the error:
MASM 6.0, 6.0a, and 6.0b will generate the error:
MASM has a restriction that the (=) directive can not be used on an external address.
You can use the EQU directive to create an alias for an external address.
; Assemble options needed: none EXTRN buf1:BYTE buf2 = buf1 END
Additional query words: 5.10 5.10a 6.00 6.00a 6.00b