Microsoft KB Archive/35499
Expand.exe Expands the Size of a Dialog Box
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) versions 3.0, 3.1
Expand.exe is a sample that demonstrates how to create a dialog box that expands to provide additional controls when the user clicks on a button control.
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
Microsoft used the most current virus detection software available on the date of posting to scan this file for viruses. Once posted, the file is housed on secure servers that prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
The remainder of this article describes the algorithm demonstrated in the EXPAND file.
To use an expanding dialog box in an application, perform the following two preparation steps:
- Design the entire dialog box and determine what controls will not be initially visible.
- Disable these hidden controls in the dialog box template by including the WS_DISABLED style bit. This prevents the TAB key or the appropriate mnemonic key from giving the focus to one of the hidden controls.
When the user clicks the "expand" button, perform the following five steps:
- Disable the expand button using EnableWindow(hWnd, FALSE).
- Enable the previously hidden controls using EnableWindow(hWnd, TRUE).
- Use SetFocus() to place the focus on the appropriate control.
Use the following function to retrieve the current position and size of the dialog:
Use the following function to expand the dialog to its new size
MoveWindow(hWndDlg, r.left, r.top, r.right - r.left,
(r.bottom - r.top) + change, TRUE);
where "change" is the difference between the small size and the large size.
Note that the MoveWindow() function can be used to expand a window in any direction.
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbfile kbsample kbDlg kbGrpDSUser kbOSWin310 kbOSWin300
Issue type :
Technology : kbAudDeveloper kbWin3xSearch kbSDKSearch kbWinSDKSearch kbWinSDK300 kbWinSDK310
Last Reviewed: December 5, 1999